Recipe: Green Chile Cheese Quinoa with Corn and Soy Chorizo
Green Chile Cheese Quinoa with Corn and Soy Chorizo
By Cacique USA - Partner Recipes - Dec 4, 2012
This hearty one-dish meal is so flavorful and laden with good things that you’ll hardly realize there’s no meat in it. Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is a grain considered by the Incas as a sacred grain. Use Queso Quesadilla Jalapeño for an even spicier dish. Pass around Crema Mexicana at the table to drizzle on top of each serving.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces Cacique soy chorizo
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoeswith their juice
- 1 Mexican squash, diced
- 11 ounce can corn, drained
- 7 ounce can diced green chiles
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 10 ounces Cacique queso quesadilla, shredded
- Saltto taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 X 13 baking dish.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes, add the garlic and sauté one more minute, don’t let it burn. Push the onion and garlic to one side of the pan and add the chorizo, breaking it up as you cook. (If the pan is too dry, you may need to add another tablespoon of olive oil.) Cook soy chorizo and incorporate the onion and garlic, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, drained corn, chiles, squash, cilantro, cumin and pepper flakes to the skillet. Add the Quinoa and 1 cup of the shredded Queso Quesadilla, stirring gently to combine and just to heat through. Turn the whole mixture into the prepared baking dish.
4. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Grease (or spray with cooking spray) the dull side of a piece of foil, to prevent the cheese from sticking, and cover the baking dish, greased side down. Bake until heated through, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for the cheese to brown a bit. Serve right away.